Do you like this post?
Posted on May 21, 2012 with No Comments
Stay vigilant and check for ticks. Here’s some news just in from Hopewell Junction, a town in Dutchess County, New York. An American Dog tick burrowed into a little girls scalp, injecting a paralyzing toxin, causing paralysis.
“A New York mom is talking about a mystery paralysis that left her daughter fighting to survive. It all stemmed from a tick bite.
Two weeks ago, precious 2-year-old Jenna Tomlins of Hopewell Junction gave her mother, Rachel, a scare of a lifetime when she woke up paralyzed. Rachel Tomlins said she asked herself if her daughter was going to die. Doctors at their local urgent care and ER were stumped and thought it might be botulism. “They did an IV, blood work, urine analysis, they did CAT scans, X-rays, MRIs and everything was coming back negative,” Rachel Tomlins told CBS 2′s Hazel Sanchez on Friday.
Jenna was rushed to Albany Medical Center, where pediatric neurologist Dr. Karen Powers recognized Jenna’s symptoms from a tick paralysis case she had handled in Virginia.
“I said we really should check her hair for a tick,” Powers said.
The tick-borne disease Jenna had is very rare and much different than Lyme disease. Lyme disease is an infection some deer ticks have and some don’t. But experts say all American dog ticks carry the toxin that can cause paralysis.”
Source: CBS New York